A synagogue was built into the western wall of the palace in the 16th century, and descendants of the Salona refugees are still living in the area.
One of the oldest written sources, which could indicate the presence of Jews on Croatian territory, comes from the letter of the vizier Hasdai ibn Shaprut, which was sent to King Joseph of the Khazars.
This letter from the 10th century refers to the "King of the Gebalim - Slavs", see the article Miholjanec, whose country borders the country of the Hungarians.
The King sent a delegation, which included "Mar (Aramaic:"Lord") Shaul and Mar Joseph", to the Caliph Abd-ar-Rahman III of Córdoba.
Some of these refugees found their way to Croatia, in particular to Split and Dubrovnik, on the Dalmatian coast.
In the 17th century, Jews were still not permitted to settle in northern Croatia.
and an excavation in Solin discovered Jewish graves from the same period.
By 1900, 54% of Zagreb Jews and 35% of all Croatian Jews spoke Croatian as their mother tongue.
Despite their small numbers, Jews were disproportionately represented in industrial and wholesale business in Croatia, and in the timber and food industries.
The prohibition against Jewish settlement in northern Croatia lasted until 1783, until the 1782 Edict of Tolerance issued by the Habsburg Monarch Emperor Joseph II went into effect.
Jews were subsequently allowed to settle in Croatia, but were not allowed to own land or engage in any trade protected by a guild, and were not allowed to work in agriculture.
Jews traveled to Croatia as traveling merchants, mostly from neighboring Hungary.